Lyon, Vincent de Portonariis de Tridino de Monte Ferrato, 1527 [colophon: Lyon: Jean Moylin, 10 July 1527], 1527
A book from the library of the Monastery of the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Holy Blood of Christ at Hailes (or Hayles), near Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, a Cistercian house founded in 1246 by Richard, first Earl of Cornwall, which became a major pilgrimage destination after his son Edmond gave to it in 1270 a relic of the blood of Jesus Christ which he had acquired in Germany. Approximately 380 printed books have been assigned with certainty or high probability to English and Welsh monastic houses. Of these, forty-four were in Cistercian monasteries in England (none in Wales). This is one of nine extant books from Hailes; untraced since 1937, it has yet to be seen by a modern scholar. The fine contemporary calf binding is decorated by two panel stamps associated with the London stationer Julian Notary.
First edition of Arnobius' seven books attacking the pagans, his only surviving work, written at Sicca (modern El Kef) about 302–305, to refute the heathen charge that Christianity was the cause of many terrible afflictions which had fallen upon the Roman empire, including pestilence, droughts, wars, famine, locusts, mice, and hailstorms. It is a mine of information about the temples, idolatrous worship, and Greco-Roman mythology of his time, and was thoroughly exploited by Renaissance antiquarians. Our copy was once in the library of Peter Frederik Suhm (1728–1798) and was sold as a duplicate by the Royal Library, Copenhagen.
First edition in Italian translation of Les Vrays Entretiens spirituels, a series of twenty-one lectures (or Conferences) on the duties and virtues of the conventual life delivered to the Nuns of the Visitation by François de Sales, later written up from memory by his listeners, and published in an authorised edition at Lyon in 1629. The translator, Paolo Battista Uso di Mare, a Benedictine monk of the Cassinese congregation in the Basilica of San Paolo fuori di Mura in Rome, dedicates the edition to Cardinal Fabio Chigi, at whose instigation it was made. This copy was bound for Olimpia Maidalchini-Pamphilj (1594-1657), the confidant of Pope Innocent X, and the most powerful woman in Rome of her day. The tools decorating the binding are associated with the bindery operated by the brothers Gregorio and Giovanni Andreoli and also with another, as yet unidentified shop (the “Enigmatic Binder”).
(21 cm), ix, 81 pp. Publisher’s cloth, dust jacket. - Introduction (pp.1-29) followed by a translation of two articles by Halévy (published in the Revue de Paris, 1906) describing the circumstances from which the evangelical revival of 1739 emerged. ¶ Unmarked copy
(24 cm), 319 pp. (various pagings),  portrait. Publisher’s cloth. - The present volume unites fifteen of Professor O’Malley’s essays published in various journals between 1965 and 1979. Ten of the essays deal specifically with intellectual activity in Renaissance Rome. Cumulative Index of Names and Index of Manuscripts. ¶ Fine, unmarked copy.