Illustrations of Indian architecture from the Muhammadan conquest downwards, selected from a portfolio of architectural drawings, prepared with much care, and principally by regular measurements, from buildings at Agra, Delhi, Juanpur, Benares, Chunar and numerous other places in upper India
Calcutta, Published by Thacker and Co., 1838-1841
The first book on Islamic architecture in India, printed by “The Oriental Lithographic Press” in Calcutta, and issued to subscribers in fascicules consisting of four plates accompanied by a leaf of letterpress. Twelve parts were published in an orderly way (two leaves of preliminaries, twelve leaves of text, and forty-eight plates); thereafter, highly irregularly, until publication was suspended in 1841. No copy is known with the full complement of text and plates (69 plates appear to have been issued; plate XXV: “Doorway of a Merchant’s House, City of Bunarus” is absent in this set). The principal sites documented are in Uttar Pradesh: the Mosque Shahi Qila at Jaunpur, the mosques at Jami and Jhanjhiri, and the Chihil Sutūn at Jaunpur, built by Fīrūz Shah’s governor, and destroyed by the British in 1859. At Agra, Kittoe records the fort and Taj Mahal and sites at Benares and Fatehpur Sikri, all with plates of architectural details. Some Hindu sites are also documented, including the Cow Temple near Agra and the ancient temple to Shiva at Kalpi.