Der Apollotempel zu Bassae in Arcadien, und die daselbst ausgegrabenen Bildwerke
Rome & Frankfurt am Main, Gedruckt mit Andreäischen Schriften, 1826
First edition of Von Stackelberg’s account of the excavations at Bassai (Phigaleia) in July-August 1812, when he worked alongside Baron Carl Haller von Hallerstein, Peter Oluf Brøndsted, John Foster, Georg Christian Gropius, and Jacob Linckh, under the nominal leadership of Charles Robert Cockerell. It contains an archaeological description of the temple (built around 430 BC in the Doric order, reputedly by Iktinos, one of the architects of the Parthenon), with engravings of its sculptured frieze carved with two mythical battles, showing Lapiths fighting Centaurs and Greeks fighting Amazons (these were purchased by the Prince of Wales in 1814, and are now in the British Museum). Also printed is a small collection of Greek folk songs. Copies appear infrequently in the market and none could be obtained for the Blackmer collection. Our copy is in a handsome binding by Philipp Selenka (1803-1850) of Wiesbaden, younger brother of Johann Jacob Selenka, Hofbuchbinder in Braunschweig.