The unedited Antiquities of Attica; comprising the architectural remains of Eleusis, Rhamnus, Sunium, and Thoricus
London, Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., published by Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown; and John Murray, 1817
Fine copy of the first edition. This work was the result of the second Ionian expedition sent by the Society of the Dilettanti to the Levant, undertaken between November 1811 and the summer of 1813. Its members included William Gell, Francis Bedford, and John Gandy. Their greatest discovery was the Temples of Ceres (now called Demeter) and other buildings on the site of the famous Eleusinian mysteries, and Eleusis is the subject of the first five chapters.