Fellicarolo di Fanano (Modena) 1702 – 1765 Pisa
Notae Graecorum sive vocum et numerorum compendia quae in aereis atque marmoreis graecorum tabulis observantur Collegit recensuit explicavit easdemque tabulas opportune illustravit… Accedunt Dissertationes sex quibus marmora quaedam tum sacra tum profana exponuntur ac emendantur.
Florence, by the Grand-ducal press, 1749
Two parts, folio (390 mm), (70, 66) ff. signed §–§§§§§§4 A–K4 L2 M4 a–p4 q6 and paginated i–xxxxviii 1–92, 1–132, plus one folding woodcut illustration (inserted after folio c3); engraved title-page vignette (dated 1749) by Carlo Faucci after a design by Giuseppe Zocchi, head-piece drawn and engraved by Zocchi, another head-piece engraved by Faucci from a design by Marco Soderini, other engraved and woodcut ornaments.
provenance Lüder Kulenkamp (1724–1794), inscription L. Kulenkamp 1760 on endpaper — Christian Gottlieb Wernsdorf (1762–1822), inscription Christianus Gottl. Wernsdorf | Helmst. D. xiii Jul. .
A clean and very well-preserved copy.
In a contemporary Dutch binding of marbled paper boards backed with plain red roan.
First printing of a discussion and interpretation of about one thousand Greek abbreviations for words and numerals, compiled to correct and augment deficiencies in the Graecorum siglae lapidariae published in 1746 by Francesco Scipione Maffei.
The author, professor of philosophy at Pisa, had published previously Fasti Attici which laid the foundation for the chronology of the Attic Archons, and a volume of dissertations dealing with chronological and other problems connected with the Panhellenic games. He dedicates the present work to Cardinal Angelo Maria Querini (1680–1755), papal librarian and founder of the Queriniana, and the six appended Dissertationes to Anton Francesco Gori and Salvino Salvini, among others.
The private library of the university professor and reformed pastor Lüder Kulenkamp (1724–1794) was one of the largest private book collection in Göttingen during the 18th century, containing more than 9000 books and manuscripts.1 The library was sold by auction, commencing in May 1796,2 and in July 1797 our volume entered the library of Christian Gottlieb Wernsdorf (1762–1822), professor of philosophy at Helmstadt.3
references Leopoldo Cicognara, Catalogo ragionato dei libri d’arte e d’antichità posseduti dal Conte Cicognara (reprint Bologna 1979), no. 2664; Fabia Borroni, ‘Il Cicognara’: Bibliografia dell’archeologia classica e dell’arte italiana (Florence 1965), no. 13072
1. Annette Pozzo, ‘Membra disiecta: Inhalt und Wirkung der Bibliothek des Göttinger Professors Lüder Kulenkamp (1724-1794)’, PhD dissertation, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2013 (text).
2. Bibliotheca Lvderi Kvlenkamp, SS. Theol. Et Philos. D. Prof. P. O. Coetvsqve Reformat. Apvd Gottingenses Pastoris Qvondam Dignissimi: Ordine Digesta; Qvae Gottingae Postridie Festi Ascensionis Christi A. mdcclxxxxvi. Pvblica Avctionis Lege Divendetvr (Göttingen 1796), p.387 lot 7402 (text).
3. Compare inscription ‘Helmst[adii]. d[ie]. 19 Oct[obris]. 1812’ in a volume in the University of Pennsylvania libraries, IC B6306 472g 1532 Folio (image, record).