Alfonso Torreggiani’s new façade for S. Pietro Metropolitana di Bologna
Engraved plan, elevation, and sections of the Cathedral of Bologna (Metropolitana di San Pietro), drawn by Flaminio Minozzi, engraved by Lorenzo Capponi, and dedicated to Cardinal Vincenzo Malvezzi
[Bologna], Lorenzo Capponi, 1760
A rare publication commemorating the newly rebuilt Cathedral of Bologna (Metropolitana di San Pietro), dedicated by the printmaker-publisher Lorenzo Capponi to the Archbishop of Bologna, Cardinal Vincenzo Malvezzi Bonfioli (1715-1775), who had consecrated the church on 15 August 1756. The restoration of the primitive Romanesque-Gothic structure had been underway already for more than a century, when Benedict XIV took charge, commissioning the new façade by the architect Alfonso Torreggiani (1743-1755) depicted here (it was modified later by Francesco Tadolini).